German Menu II, zweiter Teil

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
elandil

German Menu II, zweiter Teil

Postby elandil » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:28 pm

Ok, finally had a chance to sit down and finish the review. So, genießen Sie Teil zwei... ;)

Lets take a look at what's left...

First off, the drinks...

Tea and coffee

Coffee had 2 sugars and a creamer added. Made a decent cuppa, strong but not too bitter. Definitely a good morning jolt or an extra kick on late guard duty. The tea surprised me. It didn't have the fruity flavor you usually find with instant/imitation teas. Good quality, thinking it would have been better off with less than the 450ml of water it said, it did seem kinda weak. Overall both would be a good thing to have.

Grapefruit drink powder

not too bad, mildly sweet at first with the customary bitterness of grapefruit at the end, almost as an aftertaste. Again, kinda watered down, less water and a it would be suitable to drink in the evenings, especially with a shot of schnapps or gin added... ;)

Exotic Drink powder

Well, it is definitely exotic. Sweet, with hints of mango, papaya, and pineapple, yet no distinct flavor taking the lead. Exotic is a good name for it. I would probably trade it off for something else, maybe coffee or tea.

Apricot Jam and Leberwurst grob

It was apricot jam, pretty plain. The leberwurst grob tasted like a firmer potted meat, spread on the bread pretty easily. I preferred the bierwurst, just for the firmer texture. Both would be a good midday snack with a mug of tea.

Cevatappi

Rice had an unusual texture, not too bad but you could tell it was a canned/prepackaged item. Sausages were good, veggies were a nice touch. But, it needed something...

Gulashch mit Kartoffeln

This, laddie, was the gold in the package. Nice hunks of meat, potatoes, almost like a good beef stew, yet exotic due to the seasonings. It went fast, as a matter of fact made a good lunch. But it still needed a little something... ;)

Yall germans need to learn to add a certain...item...to your packages... ;)
:lol:

Overall, a good hearty meal to fill you up during the day. I will say this, I have a good respect for whoever seals the foil entrees, I almost had to have pliers to get it to separate, it was on so well. Kudos.
Tried- Brit 24hr, FSR, MCW, IMP, EPA.

Have- RCIR, Russian IRP, Chinese PLA MRE, Spanish IMP

Still looking for- , Australian CR1M, NZ ORP

Norton

Re: German Menu II, zweiter teil

Postby Norton » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:46 pm

Good review, I would like to see how the two main entrees would taste if mixed together.
They seem to look like a good mix. Grapefruit juice would be a poor choice for me as it is tart. But maybe it cuts the grease.
The lunch meat paste seems from the photos to looks filling with that bread. The same with the jam, I would like to try that with the bread. The bread looks interesting , how did it taste as a stand alone entree? (Is it bread or a hearty cracker?)

housil

Re: German Menu II, zweiter teil

Postby housil » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:11 am

Norton wrote: The bread looks interesting , how did it taste as a stand alone entree? (Is it bread or a hearty cracker?)

It´s rye bread. Usually we eat it as breakfast with the jam or the pate. Depends if you are a "sweet" person or not :wink:

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Re: German Menu II, zweiter Teil

Postby Ruleryak » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:59 pm

Shelf stable German roggenbrot (rye bread) is one of my favorite starch items in any ration the world over. The Danish ration seemed to have the most I've seen so far, enough to have a few pieces with each meal.

housil

Postby housil » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:21 pm

Ja, the German EPa has 5 slices (125g), the Danish have 8 slices (168g)

parafireboy

Postby parafireboy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:39 pm

Nice review! The bread especially looks great. I tend to prefer the soft bread over the hard crackers / biscuits that so many of the rations include. I look forward to trying one of the German rations! :D

Return to “International Ration Reviews”